By Kassie Parisi
CLIFTON PARK — At a recent Town Board meeting, a Clifton Park resident thanked emergency responders for performing the most important service they could provide: saving his life.
The board recognized members of the Clifton Park Halfmoon Ambulance crew, including paramedics Steven Lohan, Tom Walsh, Ed O’Brien, and Kevin Robert, for coming to Robert Fagan’s aid in early August.
On Aug. 7, Fagan experienced a severe reaction to a bee sting he received as he was working in his yard outside his home. Fagan explained that he has never had an allergic reaction to anything, despite the fact that he has been stung by other insects before.
“Throughout my life, I’ve been stung and bit by everything you can imagine,” he said.
“But, that was it,” he said of the bee sting.
After he was stung by the bee, Fagan said that he began to feel dizzy. Eventually, he made a 911 call as he began to go into anaphylactic shock. Right after he made the call, Fagan passed out.
But Fagan wasn’t out for long. When he opened his eyes, he was surrounded by emergency responders, who had arrived just in time to revive him and hooked him up to an IV and a mask that countered the allergic reaction.
“These angles showed up. The next thing I know, these guys are standing over me,” Fagan said.
Though the rest of the day passed in a blur, Fagan said at the meeting that his worst fear was —if he had not been saved — someone having to explain his death to his children.
Going forward, Fagan is going to be diligent in finding out what he’s allergic to. While he’s grateful to the first responders for saving his life, he encouraged everyone to make the most out of the time that they have now.
“Don’t sweat the small stuff,” he said. “Tell the people you love that you love them.”