Clifton Park sets aside funding for Sitterly Road projects

GAZETTE FILE PHOTO.GAZETTE FILE PHOTO.

CLIFTON PARK — The Clifton Park Town Board recently authorized the appropriation of funds to begin implementation of the Sitterly Road Corridor Improvement Project.

The project will utilize a combination of federal and state funding. $132,000 will come from federal Transportation Improvement Program funding for the Intelligent Traffic Signal (ITS) portion of the project. Eighty percent of that will be reimbursed, while 20 percent will be provided by the towns of Clifton Park and Halfmoon, $13,200 per each town.

The rest of the improvements project amounts to $1.820 million, and utilizes State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) funding, and is eligible for an 80 percent reimbursement from the federal government and the remaining 20 percent from the State “Marchiselli” Program, resulting in no cost either town.

“Working cooperatively with Halfmoon, we have secured grant funding for traffic and pedestrian improvements in the busy Sitterly Road corridor that includes the intersections with Woodin Road and Crossing Boulevard,” said Clifton Park Town Supervisor Phil Barrett in a press release.  “The improvements will result in improved traffic flow, an extension of the sidewalk network and achieves a high priority goal for both Towns.”

This funding provides the monies to make the necessary improvements to resolve a long-standing traffic issue in our Towns.  This is another example of how the Towns of Halfmoon and Clifton Park are working together to improve our communities,” Halfmoon Town Supervisor Kevin Tollisen said in a press release.

 The current Sitterly Road configuration incorporates two traffic signals operating independently of each other, spaced only 480 feet apart along the road  During peak traffic, the unsynchronized timing of the stoplights along with a lack of turn lanes creates volume delays.

 The proposed Sitterly Road Improvements will incorporate two new interconnected traffic signals at the intersections of Sitterly Road with Crossing Boulevard and Sitterly Road with Woodin Road, development of a right turn lane for westbound Sitterly Road traffic onto Crossing Boulevard, development of a left turn lane for westbound Sitterly Road traffic onto southbound Woodin Road, development of a right turn lane for eastbound Sitterly Road traffic onto southbound Woodin Road, development of a limited right turn lane for northbound Woodin Road traffic onto eastbound Sitterly Road, and other pedestrian improvements.

 An initial public informational meeting on the project will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 24 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Clifton Park Halfmoon Emergency Corps.